Around the World

Around the World
Starting in Mexico and Heading West!

Next Semester

This upcoming Spring Semester I have the chance of a life time to be able to sail around the world, visit many different countries and meet new people. I hope that with this, you will be able take a journey with me around the world.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Little Update from the MV Explorer

So pretty much I had a blast in Hilo and Honolulu. I got to spend the entire time with my Aunt and Uncle. We had some pretty sweet adventures to say the least. In Hilo we went to the Hawaii Volcano National Park and got to see Kilauea Caldera. It was breath taking, the view of the valley was amazing, throughout the valley we could see little steam pockets, which I think it pretty sweet. We also went up the observatory and got a closer look and the Volcano. Sad day though, because there was no lava flowing that day we went, but nonetheless, it was freakin' sweet. After that we headed towards Kona, which was one the opposite side of the island. It was a nice and relaxing drive, lots of switchbacks and hills that put me to sleep for a while. We finally got to our final resting place at the Fairmont Hotel in Kona. This place was sick, had an amazing view of the ocean. I was really excited about that because we had been sailing on the Pacific Ocean for a week and was never able to go in it, but now I was able to feel the sand between my toes and the water splashing on my legs, I knew I hit paradise :D. Later that night we ate some bomb sushi, had a little sake and had a delicious desert. The next morning we a buffet made for kings, anything you could think of, they had. I was just excited to have some Hawaiian pineapple and POG juice. After that, we hit the beach one more time and headed back to the ship in the afternoon.

Honolulu was the next port of call. I went to Pearl Harbor and saw the Arizona and got a little more background as to what happened that day. Breath taking views, and the wall of names lost that day was huge. It was really interesting to see all the names on the wall and their rank. After that, my aunt and uncle picked me up and we went on another adventure. We drove around the island, got shaved ice with ice cream inside it (sooo good). We hit up the famous North Shore and saw the wave crashing and a surfer or two out there. We then proceeded around the rest of the island. The mountain ranges and the hill sides we awesome, the sun was on the other side and was peaking its ways over the ridge (cannot even begin to tell you how sick it looked). Got to the hotel in Waikiki and again the view was amazing. Once we got settled, we got dressed up and went to dinner with some family friends who were in town. Had a blast with them, they are so lively and fun to be around. The next day, my aunt and I went out for a little walk about. She showed me all the hotels and places of Waikiki and I am not going to lie, it was not too shabby. After breakfast (consisting of many cinnamon rolls and more POG juice) we packed up and drove me back to the ship. Also to they got me a kick ass 'Ukulele. I have been practicing daily (my goal is to play 'Over the Rainbow' by IZ, so stoked!).

Alright, so now we are on our way to Japan. We have 12 days at sea. I am not going to lie, I am excited to say the least. It has been nice because we gain an extra hour of sleep though out this little sail to Japan, as well as lose an entire day because we are passing the International Date Line. So I have been thinking about this whole concept of losing a day, and I have come up with a couple of theories: 1- since we are losing a day, what does that mean for us? Are we trapped in limbo, not dead or alive? Or 2- is it time travel? I do not know per say, this is just what was going through my head, it may be far out there, but that is just me. Lol

Once I get closer to Japan I will post another entry to let you guys know what happened with everything and what I will be doing once we touch land in Japan.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, my little biscuit.
    please, please, please think of me when you're in japan. i have wanted to go there since i was little. ESPECIALLY tokyo, i'm fascinated by the culture and everything about it. i think about taking a trip there all the time. i'm living vicariously through you, kevin. ;) i can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete

Kevin Downs

My photo
I am Junior at Vanguard University, currently working towards a Business Administration degree but more than likely switching to Marketing. But after that, I do not know for sure what I am going after I graduate because right now I am thinking of becoming a Fireman. But we will see what this upcoming Semester has in store for me.